- Human Rights
- Get Involved
The World Sikh Organization of Canada reaches out to protect Sikh interests in Canada and around the world
- the WSO has been instrumental in the acceptance of the Sikh Religious Articles of Faith in many parts of the world
- the WSO provides legal assistance in a vast array of cases involving discrimination against Sikhs
- the WSO's Intervention and assistance has been crucial to landmark decisions in the judiciary
- the WSO supports educational and economic initiative by Sikhs around the world
Humanitarian Aid around the World: The World Sikh Organization has, since its inception, strived to uphold the fundamental Sikh tenet: to serve all of humanity. The WSO has completed and continues to support numerous projects focused on global peace and humanitarian aid. Some of these include:
- organizing fund raising campaigns for disaster relief in countries around the world, assisting in the adoption of orphaned children, and organizing blood drives for the Red Cross
- cooperating with and supporting numerous Non-Governmental Organizations focused on human rights
- providing assistance to new immigrats and refugee claimants
International Human Rights: The WSO continues to pay close attention to the plight of Sikhs and other minorities across the world and specifically to minorities in India. Although commonly referred to as the world's largest democracy and an emerging economic superpower, India has faced serious challenges in countering human rights abuses by its security forces and in adopting liberal democratic values. India is also home to 80% of the Sikhs in the world. Some of the WSO's work in this area:
- encouraging discussions on human rights in such forums as the US Congress and Canadian and British Parliaments, as well as various Senates and Committees, and the United Nations.
- lobbying all levels of government (federal, provincial, municipal and state) and providing information and consultation services.
- documenting cases of human rights abuses for dissemination to international monitoring agencies such as Amnesty International, the UN Human Rights Bodies, lawyers, Immigration departments and other agencies.
- sponsoring fact finding missions comprising of both governmental and non-governmental delegations that report on human rights violations.
In accordance with UN Covenants, the WSO supports the right of Sikhs within India to freely practice their faith and express their political views free from fear of persecution.
Education and awareness about Sikh Religion and Culture: Sikhism is a religion that believes in One God and in the equality of all regardless of caste, colour, religion or gender. Part of the WSO's mission is to generate awareness of Sikh culture in the international arena. At the same time, the WSO provides an enormous base of information and assistance on issues relating to Sikhs. Some of the WSO's ongoing work includes:
- distribution of information regarding the Sikh religion.
- sponsoring intercultural banquets and hosting seminars, workshops, and public discussions on issues of national and international interest.
- providing educational services, multicultural consultations, training programs, translation services, and other resource assistance to parliamentarians, the media, and the community.